Free Tax Preparation Programs
The 2015 tax-filing season finished up on Friday, April 15, 2016, with 340 clients being served this year. Jackson County residents received an estimated $101,851 in earned income tax credits (EITC) and a grand total of $266,353 in refunds through this year's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and MyFreeTaxes (MFT) programs. The total average EITC return was $1,662 for these working families. Providing free income tax preparation service from early February through April, Jackson County United Way's (JCUW) VITA program served 219 clients filing tax returns while MFT's served 121. Since the program started JCUW has helped Jackson County residents claim $1,639,925 in federal and state returns.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally, $54,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive IRS training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the county.
My Free Taxes (MFT)
program is a self-directed filing program where individuals can file their own taxes with the support of a certified tax coach. The H&R Block supported software is very user friendly and easy to use. Most individuals report their refund is in their banking accounts within 7 to 10 days after filing. It is essential that individuals using this program have basic computer skills.
What income tax forms does the Free Income Tax Assistance program prepare?
- 1040A with Schedules 1, 2,3, and EITC
- 1040 with Schedules A, B, C-EZ. EITC and R
- Form 1040V (Payment voucher)
- Form 1040 ES (Individual Estimated Tax Payment)
- Form 2441 (Child and Dependent Care Credit)
- Form 8812 (Additional Child Tax Credit)
Sites DO NOT prepare:
- Schedule C (Profit or Loss from a Business)
- Schedule D (Complicated and Advanced D's)
- Schedule E (Rental Income)
- Form SS-5 (Request for a Social Security Number)
- Form 2016 (Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses)
- Form 3903 (Moving Expenses)
- Form 8606 (Nondeductible IRA)
- Form 8615 (Tax for Children under 14 with Investment Income)