Free Taxes


Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) offers free BASIC tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally, $66,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive IRS training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the county.  Appointment scheduling information coming soon! 

My Free Taxes (MFT) program is a self-directed filing program where individuals can file their own taxes with the support of a certified tax coach. The software is very user friendly and easy to use. Most individuals report their refund is in their banking accounts within 7 to 10 days after filing. It is essential that individuals using this program have basic computer skills.  Visit!

What income tax forms does the Free Income Tax Assistance program prepare?

Click here for a quick overview of the IRS Certified Volunteers Tax Assistance Program in English & Spanish. 

Sites prepare:

  • 1040EZ
  • 1040A with Schedules 1, 2,3, and EITC
  • 1040 with Schedules A, B, C-EZ. EITC and R
  • Form 1040V (Payment voucher)
  • Form 1040 ES (Individual Estimated Tax Payment)
  • Form 2441 (Child and Dependent Care Credit)
  • Form 8812 (Additional Child Tax Credit)

Sites DO NOT prepare:

  • Schedule C (Profit or Loss from a Business)
  • Schedule D (Complicated and Advanced D's)
  • Schedule E (Rental Income)
  • Form SS-5 (Request for a Social Security Number)
  • Form 2016 (Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses)
  • Form 3903 (Moving Expenses)
  • Form 8606 (Nondeductible IRA)
  • Form 8615 (Tax for Children under 14 with Investment Income)

When you are going to get your taxes prepared, be sure to bring with you the following items:

  • Photo ID for you (and your spouse if filing jointly)
  • Both spouses must be present to sign required forms (if filing jointly) 
  • Social Security card or ITIN for each family member (NO exceptions!)
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) form all employers (Form W-2)
  • Child care provider information: address and tax ID number
  • Unemployment compensation form 1099G
  • Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits (SSA 1099 or RRB 1099)
  • Interest and/or dividend statements (Form 1099INT or 1099 DIV)
  • Retirement benefit (Form 1099R) or any document for contributions to an IRA, 401K or other retirement account
  • Self-employment income and expenses (Form 1099 Misc or manual records)
  • Income gain/loss from sales of stocks or bonds (Form 1099B and/or broker's statement)
  • Gambling and prize winnings (1099 MISC or W-2G)
  • Home mortgage interest (Form 1098 and receipt of any real estate taxes paid); charitable contributions, medical expenses, mileage, education expenses and student load interest paid (Form 1098)
  • Amounts and dates of any estimated tax payments that you made in past year
  • Copy of last year's Federal and State returns
  • A voided check for direct deposit or bank statement with routing and account numbers