Jackson County United Way and Anchor House are collaborating to provide a Getting Ahead in a Just Gettin' By course for investigators in Jackson County. Based on Ruby Payne's research in Bridges Out of Poverty, Philip DeVol developed Getting Ahead as a way for individuals living in or near poverty to write their future story. Presented by aha! Process, this course places the participants in the seat of experts and investigators of their own life.
Investigators participate in a three month-long curriculum in which they investigate: (excerpt from ahaprocess.com)
- The realities of conditions in your community and how they impact you
- Some of the "hidden rules" for getting ahead
- Skills that give you confidence to do what it takes to get ahead
- How to build resources and make connections at home and at work
- Ways to deal with change and create stability in your life
Currently, our first ever Jackson County Getting Ahead course is underway, and will last the duration of the summer. There are several ways for you to get involved to support of these Investigators.
- Support a Getting Ahead Investigator by sponsoring the cost of their course.
- Sponsor a meal for the Getting Ahead class.
- Volunteer to serve a meal.
- Share about this opportunity with future Investigators.
- Like, share, and comment on our social media posts about the program!
If you're interested in supporting our Investigators in any of the previously mentioned roles or enrolling in our next Getting Ahead in a Just Gettin' By course, contact Financial Stability Program Manager Jena at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-522-5450 ext. 1.