Send Cover Letter & Resume to: Tonja Couch, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 Education Intern Job Description
Position: Education Intern
Accountability: This position reports direct to the Program Manager.
Description: The Jackson County United Way internship is an opportunity that allows the intern to
work with a cross sector of professionals including prominent business and
community leaders, educators, policy makers, faith-based community
representatives, social service directors and JCUW staff to gain meaningful
professional experience in resource development (fundraising), community
investment (fund distribution), and community impact programming (in education,
health, and financial stability).
Objective: The Intern serves at JCUW to: increase knowledge about the non-profit industry;
develop skills that will assist in future career path; and function as a positive and
contributing member of the JCUW team.
Potential areas for gaining experience and the duties that may be included:
Rock’N Ready School Supply Drive and 5K Rock and Run
1. Recruit businesses and organizations to conduct school supply collection drives.
2. Solicit donations to support education in our community through programs such as Rock’N Ready and school
based volunteer opportunities.
3. Organize company school supply collection drives.
4. Assist in creating letters, posters, flyers, and other marketing materials for the drive and race.
5. Engage and build relationships with diverse community stakeholders including donors, volunteers, and social
service agency representatives.
6. Support volunteer efforts of Rock’N Ready collection drive at Walmart
7. Assist in maintaining a database of community impact partners and donors
8. Work with Rock’N Ready committee to assist with all areas, as needed.
9. Attend distribution events and 5K in late July and first weekend of August.
Community Impact Initiatives
1. Collaborate with United Way staff members on strategies and initiatives to impact the community.
2. Research grant opportunities that help support the United Way initiatives in education, health and financial
3. Understand and share Community Conversation Findings.
4. Participate in community-based information fairs and events.
5. Plan, coordinate, and attend special events.
Marketing and Public Relations
1. Design, write and produce e-marketing.
2. Update website as needed.
3. Write news releases as needed for organization and program functions.
- Collates and organizes marketing packets for the organization.
- Answers the phone and takes messages as needed.
- Other Duties as Assigned by Lead Staff
Desired Skills, Knowledge, & Abilities:
- Strong administrative, organizational, written and oral communications skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Professional Office Package (including Microsoft Word, Excel,
- PowerPoint and Publisher) and Adobe Creative Suite 4.
- Initiative, self-discipline and a high level of analytical ability.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Creativity and enthusiasm.
- Ability to apply a cooperative work style with community peers and clients.
- Capacity to help determine community needs.
- A compelling commitment to the philanthropic sector and to the betterment of the quality of life for the
- residents of the area.
Accountability to the public has been United Way’s strongest suit. Each year, volunteers and interns work together to
fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in our community. Through effective volunteer
management, costs are kept low and financial outlays are kept to a minimum, thus insuring that the community
receives maximum benefit from its contributions. We are able to offer a stipend of $1,000 upon completion of this
- Desired Start Date and Duration: June 3-August 9, 2019
- Approximate Hours Per Week: 20 hours per week, mostly M-F with some events.
- Number of Interns Desired for this Position: One for summer of 2019
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Desired Major(s):
- Business Education
- Family, Youth, and Community Science
- Human Services
- Marketing/Public Relations
- Organizational Leadership for Non-Profits