History of: VITA
In 2010, JCUW worked with grants from IaUW, United Way Worldwide (previously United Way of America), and Walmart Foundation. Helped develop a VITA/EITC site in Jackson County. This site provides free tax preparation for families qualified families.
In 2016, JCUW’s Free Income Tax Assistance Programs continued to lead the charge with financial stability work. 340 tax returns were prepared at the Jackson County Public Library by 13 volunteers. Since the program started in 2010, JCUW has helped Jackson County residents claim $5, 099, 795 in federal and state returns. In 2022, we humbly prepared returns for 458 clients with 11 volunteers.
Jackson County United Way offers FREE Income Tax Assistance for taxpayers who earn less than $66,000 annually.
We are not currently taking appointments for this program. The appointment line for the 2022 filing season will open in January of 2023.
Our local United Way has been serving Jackson County with this program, nationally known as VITA, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, for 12 years. Each year, our volunteers prepare hundreds of tax returns, taking the burden of paying for a preparer off these families and assisting them in getting the return they are owed. Volunteers receive IRS certification and are trained in the preparation process and tools.
If you are interested in learning about this volunteer opportunity, please contact our Financial Stability Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember to save these items when you receive them, as you will need to bring them to your tax appointment.
• For married filing joint, both spouses must be present with valid ID
• All Forms W-2 and 1099
• Information for other income
• Information for all deductions/credits
• A copy of last year’s tax return
• Proof of account for direct deposit of refund
• Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification notices/cards for you, your spouse, and/or dependents
• Amount paid to day care provider and their tax ID number
• Birth dates for you, spouse and/or dependents on the return
• Proof of foreign status if applying for ITIN
• Forms 1095-A, B or C (ACA Statements)
• For prior year returns, copies of income transcripts from IRS (and state, if applicable)