Free Taxes

Jackson County United Way offers FREE tax preparation through our Free Income Tax Assistance Program. This program is for households with a total income of $66,000 or less. 

PLEASE NOTE: The IRS will not be accepting returns until February 12 for the 2020 tax season. We will still be processing before this date and our appointment dates will not change. Please make an appointment below or check out the other filing options available. We will file your taxes on February 12 and your refunds will be processed on that date. 

We are offering 3 different ways to get your taxes done this year: 

1. 100% virtual option - taxes are prepared by certified tax preparers

  • You may upload all documents to and a Jackson County United Way certified tax preparer will contact you will any questions
  • Please go to to get started

2. Semi-traditional tax preparation option 

  • You will drop off all documents in person, have your taxes virtually prepared by a certified tax preparer and return the following week to pick up your tax documents. Drop off and pick up will both be at the Boys & Girls Club Seymour. 
  • CLICK HERE to schedule an appointment or call 812-522-5450 - preparing does not begin until Saturday, January 30. 
  • CLICK HERE to download all intake documents to bring to the site with you (this will save time for you at the Boys & Girls Club).

3. Do it yourself tax preparation option 

  • CLICK HERE to learn more about filing your own taxes for FREE - limited income options 
  • TBD on open date of program 


When you go to get your taxes prepared, be sure to bring with you the following items if applicable:

What to Bring
• For married filing joint, both spouses must be present with valid ID
• All Forms W-2 and 1099
• Information for other income
• Information for all deductions/credits
• A copy of last year’s tax return
• Proof of account for direct deposit of refund
• Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification notices/cards for you, your spouse, and/or dependents
• Proof of identification for yourself and/or your spouse
• Total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number
• Birth dates for you, spouse and/or dependents on the return
• Proof of foreign status if applying for ITIN
• Forms 1095-A, B or C (ACA Statements)
• For prior year returns, copies of income transcripts from IRS (and state, if applicable)


Still have questions? Call the Jackson County United Way at 812-522-5450 ext. 1.